JOB TITLE: Consultant in Older Peoples Services
DEPARTMENT: Older Peoples Services
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Medical Director
REPORTS TO: Clinical Lead
This whole-time appointment is based at one of our clients in Suffolk. Qualifications required are MRCP or equivalent, full GMC registration and preferably, inclusion on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council.
This role is permanent.
The post-holder will:
- Work with colleagues to provide a Consultant-led service with the highest standard of care
- Work with the multi-professional team to develop care pathways and clinical guidelines
- Develop and maintain good working practices with wards, out-patients and the ED
- Collaborate and promote close working links with colleagues, other departments and primary care
- Offer educational, clinical support and leadership to junior medical colleagues, nursing colleagues and other members of the multi-disciplinary team
- Ensure appropriate information is made available to staff to measure clinical performance and enable meaningful benchmarks to be established and evaluated within your area of responsibility
- Ensure there is a robust process for reviewing the quality of services provided, explaining the causes of success and failure and ensure the highest standards are maintained
- Provide a role model of professional leadership, which underpins the corporate values and behaviours agreed by the organisation, ensuring these are understood and demonstrated by the medical workforce within your area and take remedial action where poor behaviour are demonstrated
- Ensure that junior doctors training confirms to College requirements
- Participate in the appraisal of medical staff within the department in line with the Trust’s agree policy
The key duties and responsibilities of the post will be:
- Take part in the acute medical intake where an age-related policy operates and patients over the age of 78 are admitted under the care of the elderly physicians.
- Provide on-going medical supervision for those patients admitted under his/her care following the acute take. There are four care of the elderly wards (excluding the stroke ward, orthogeriatrics and EAU). A ward-based system for junior doctors and patients currently operates so patients admitted under one consultant are often transferred to the care of another once they move off EAU and onto another ward. The appointee will be supported by an SPR (shared with one other consultant) and a foundation doctor/ CMT doctor. He/ She will be responsible for managing 14 in patients.
- Work closely with the other consultants in care of the elderly to share in the care of patients in all aspects of care including acute care, rehabilitation.
- Work closely with the consultant in orthopaedic department.
- Liaise with consultants within the department on the development and implementation of protocols and guidelines for the management of elderly patients and the development of clinical audit.
- Give a consultant and advisory service to colleagues in other specialties in the trust as well as those in the mental health trust.
- Participate in the Postgraduate and Undergraduate teaching programmes, and teaching of other health professionals, within the department.
- Participate in the appraisal and assessment of junior medical colleagues, as delegated by the Unit Training Director.
- Participate in teaching of SpR’s, Foundation doctors and GP trainees.
- Once weekly clinic typically seeing 3 new and 3 follow up patients. Currently 30 minutes are allocated to assess new patients and follow up appointments are 20 minutes each.
For more information on this job role including benefits, timetable ect please contact Nabil ElGazzar - email@example.com